ESI’s program fees are covered by cooperating host school districts program fees. These fees cover ESI administrative costs for screening, orientation, and supervising participants, as well as the participants’ supplementary medical insurance (from departure from home country to when you transfer to your school’s medical insurance coverage, plus repatriation and evacuation coverage throughout your program).
Beyond the program fees paid by the host school, ESI does not charge participants program fees, other than collecting and paying direct costs of the program on behalf of the applicant. ESI’s international partners, including universities and foreign departments of education, have committed to not charge applicants fees for their referral services. If any third party attempts to charge you additional fees for ESI’s program, please contact ESI for support.
ITA collects $295 from applicants for a Northern Arizona University training program exclusively designed for ITA applicants. The online program includes instruction in English for the classroom and Classroom Readiness & Teacher Preparation instruction. Learn more about ITA’s exclusive university training program here.
Other costs that participants will likely incur either before arrival or while in the United States include:
- Visa Application Fee ($160)
- SEVIS Fee ($220)
- Foreign credential evaluation fee ($200, estimated) – ESI recommends utilizing AZICE for the required transcript evaluation.
- Travel to host school – flight/ bus
- Housing – rent, housing deposits, utilities
- Teaching requirements – Background check, teaching certificate
- Personal expenses - mobile phone, travel, savings, entertainment
- Medical insurance premiums or out-of-pocket expenses not covered by medical insurance policy
- Taxes (estimated 15-20% of your paycheck)
You should have at least $2,000 - $5,000 available to you when you arrive in the United States for settling in costs, including transportation to your host school, housing deposits, food and other personal expenses until you receive your first paycheck. See the sample Budget Exercise to create your personalized monthly budget and see estimates of food, housing and local transportation costs, as well as expected tax deductions.