TEMPORARY I-9 PROCESS
The I-9 process is usually conducted in-person by ESI, however, due to COVID-19 concerns, with school districts and ESI’s office being closed for walk-in visitors, we are offering a temporary solution to complete the I-9 Form remotely for employees that need to complete this portion of onboarding during the closures.
Under the circumstances raised by COVID-19, DHS will consider "any person" even to include a family member, household member, or neighbor as an “authorized representative” acting on behalf of the employer (ESI). This is a serious responsibility so please make sure it is completed properly with help from a reliable "authorized representative". Please contact ESI at email@example.com if you need assistance.
FOLLOW THESE STEPS:
- Print the I-9 Form Sections 1 and 2
- Complete Section 1 of the I-9 Form
- Any boxes that do not apply in the personal information section, must be filled out with N/A
- Don’t forget to sign and date it
- Must select the box if it applies, “I did not use a preparer or translator”
AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE: (e.g. family member, neighbor, etc.)
- Review the I-9 employment verification documents presented by employee
- Ensure that the documents are from the eligible list (page 3 of the I-9 Form) and are not expired
- One doc from List A
- One doc from List B and List C
- One doc from List A
- Complete Section 2 of the I-9 Form
- Be sure to enter the number of the Citizenship/Immigration Status at the top, found on Section 1
- If you need to know the issuing authority of a document or any other information while filling out this form, please contact ESI
- Don’t forget to sign and date it as the authorized representative
Scan or snap a picture on a smartphone of the completed I-9 Form and the ID document(s) and send to ESI at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are an existing active ESI employee already, you do not need to complete a new I-9 Form at this time. We will contact you if we need an updated I-9 Form or additional information.
A complete list of acceptable documents can be found here. You must provide one document from List A, or a combination of one selection from List B and one selection from List C. These are the only documents acceptable for completing the I-9 Form, which is used for the government's E-verify process.